Train types in China
Trains are classified by speed and service in China, represented by the letter at the beginning of a train code. Generally speaking, they are classified into G, C, D, Z, T, K, and the ordinary trains.
- G train, the fastest train in China, is able to reach 350 km/h. And the prices is highest.
- D train, it refers to High-speed rail (HSR) at the speed of 250 km/h. The D train are available in the major cities.
- C train, is the high-speed intercity train running for a short distance between two nearby cities.
- Z train refers to an express train which has a maximum speed of 162 km/h and does not stop (or only stops at a few larger stations en route) before reaching its destination.
- T train refers to a superior fast train with a maximum speed of about 160 km/h, which only stops at the larger stations in the provincial capitals and prefecture-level cities.
- K train refers to a fast train with a maximum speed of about 120 km/h, which only stops at the major stations of the prefecture-level cities and the county-level cities.
- The ordinary train is the slowest train due to stopping at almost every station along the route.
G, D and C train are providing the 1st, 2nd and business class seat. Z, T and K train have hard/soft sleeper and hard/soft seat, some of Z train also have the deluxe soft sleeper.
The hard sleeper consist of compartments with 6 bunks, and no door for the compartment.
The soft sleeper is in a 4-berth compartment, and the door is able to be locked.
The deluxe soft sleeper are two-bed compartments.
How to buy the ticket
The selling periods of China rail tickets are 60 days before the departure day for bookings online and by telephone. And passports are needed when buying a China train ticket and boarding a train. You may ask your hotel to book a ticket, or buy a ticket through a travel agency. And you are able to buy it by telephone or internet.
- Call center of China Railway Bureau for ticket booking
- The website for online booking of China Railway Bureau (Chinese
- Online booking service provided by Ctrip (English)